Amherst College invites applications for the Director of Rental Housing Management position. The Director of Rental Housing Management position is a full time, year round position, job group and level SM-4. The Director of Rental Housing Management leads the residential real estate portfolio operations at Amherst College, Mount Holyoke, and Smith College. The university style portfolio is spread across three campuses and towns, and consists of over 260 units currently valued at $51.7M that range from single family homes to commercial apartment buildings.
The Director interacts with high level administration and faculty governance committees to design and implement faculty housing programs and ensures adherence to all state and local housing laws and environmental guidelines. The Director’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, capital needs assessments, preventative maintenance program, project management, tenant customer service, faculty housing program assignments, home sales and purchases, leasing, accounting, and budget management.
The Director leads and oversees a team of six, directly supervising the Office Manager and the Maintenance Supervisor, as well as contractors and casual employees.
This position is expected to take appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
- Develop and implement systems to assess physical conditions of properties, identify renewal projects and predict capital funding needs to ensure asset value is preserved.
- Design and administer the housing assignment process at Amherst, Smith, and Mount Holyoke Colleges per each college’s guidelines (processing applications, showing units, preparing follow-up on lease paperwork, responding to inquiries, interacting with various departments regarding eligibility and ranking, coordinating turnover schedule with the maintenance supervisor, etc.).
- Cultivate new ideas and initiatives that help improve the department policies, procedures, and processes.
- Advise the Amherst College Housing Committee, the Smith College Provost’s Office, and the Mount Holyoke College Provost’s Office by participating in strategic discussions about a large array of subjects, such as the overall effectiveness and utilization of the housing program, and identifying renovation or disposition candidates. Also, participating in discussions about the internal equity of the current levels and providing analysis and recommendations for changing the rent structure.
- Advise senior administration at the three colleges about housing policies and provide recommendations for improving the delivery of housing benefits.
- Supervise the Office Manager and Maintenance Supervisor.
- Oversee the daily maintenance staff schedule and operations in coordination with the Maintenance supervisor. Delegate work to maintenance staff.
- Maintain current knowledge of all federal, state and local housing laws, as well as all Amherst College policies and procedures, and communicate same to the department.
- Manage capital renewal projects, develop and design specifications, issues RFP’s, develops contracts, schedule and oversees execution of projects.
- Facilitate the Home Purchase Program. Arrange all necessary legal actions to facilitate transfer of ownership.
- Oversee all aspects of lead compliance program.
- Design, implement, and oversee a comprehensive enterprise software system to manage all aspects of property management.
- Develop and manage department processes and procedures related to tenant communication and business practices.
- Maintain and expand upon the department’s web presence including online applications, listings, maintenance requests, surveys, and community bulletin board.
- Coordinate service calls, follow up on billing discrepancies, maintain and update insurance certificates, monitor service contracts, work with the Maintenance Supervisor to review performance specifications, and make recommendations for subsequent contracts.
- Monitor procurement and utility invoices, and process invoices for payment accurately and in a timely manner.
- Oversee A/R payments.
- Oversee and manage tenant, vendor, and property databases.
- Facilitate solutions to tenant disputes.
- Manage tenant capitol project requests in conjunction with the capitol project initiatives.
- Create various tenant communications (satisfaction surveys, project/maintenance notification, and standard responses to frequent inquiries).
- Oversee and manage guest suite (Smith and Amherst College) and key.
- Oversee and manage key control policy.
- Monitor tenant activities for compliance with lease terms and initiate independent action to correct violations.
- Provide each college with annual asset and tenant demand reports.
- Review and monitor tenant rent balances, and assist in collecting overdue payments by issuing appropriate notices as necessary (late payment, returned checks, memos).