BUSINESS ENERGY PROFESSIONAL
Our accounting team has a position for a Business Energy Professional with responsibility for energy management of electric, gas, water and fuel oil consumption for our company. Research, recommend, negotiate contracts and implement and monitor the program, as well as represent us at industry and state organizations and commissions.
This is an exciting opportunity to grow your energy management career with a well-established and stable property management company!
To learn more about Southern Management Corporation go to: www.southernmanagement.com
Compensation & Benefits
We offer a competitive salary with potential for bonus, generous benefits package (Medical, Dental, Vision, Annual 5% Profit Sharing contribution, 401K, Life), opportunities for advancement, annual professional development funds, employee discounts, friendly work environment and more!
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement, manage, analyze and report on the Energy Management Program for the company, including the Demand Response, Peak Response and Interruptible Gas programs.
- Monitor the futures market for electricity, natural gas and fuel oil price for the analysis of future contracts by hedging against utility price spikes
- Negotiate energy procurement and utility contracts with Bollinger and Constellation and track performance
- Analyze energy future contracts for benefits and savings to company before signing
- Coordinate energy management system installation and implementation for real time data with Enel X.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly utility consumption data reports and calculate the Average Daily Consumption (ADC) for electricity, gas and water.
- Analyze plant consumption of gas versus oil during Interruption Season for 26 plants and calculate oil levels consumption per plant using stick reads and savings on gas vs. oil usage per Interruption Season; calculate Interruptible vs. Firm rate for gas accounts and prepare and send reporting documents to Washington Gas for switching.
- Conduct feasibility studies and compare consumption patterns for all properties
- Prepare and monitor the annual electric, gas, water and fuel oil utility budgets for all properties
- Prepare and monitor budgets for any related ad hoc projects
- Prepare reports and update files as needed via AUM/Real Page and CASS including late fees, missing bills, outstanding checks, monthly consumption, estimated bills, disconnected bills, invoice spike and cost avoidance reports.
- Review and authorize bills for payment for all assigned utility accounts
- Manage expense recovery efforts by monitoring accuracy of the utility website and utility bills, approving utility payments exceeding $10,000, resolving meter issues, and pursuing late fee waivers, reimbursement checks and account credits as appropriate.
- Audit troubled accounts, comparing consumption patterns and reviewing trends to increase billing accuracy.
- Develop and implement practices and procedures designed to reduce and/or improve efficiency of usage
- Conduct, review and evaluate ad hoc energy management projects as assigned
- Manage the futures electricity and gas procurement portfolio, negotiate contracts, and look at options for future purchases
- Regularly attend and/or serve as board member for energy related organizations
- Testify as expert witness and/or write statements on commercial multifamily housing utility tariff issues for related industry and state organizations and commissions.
- Attend related conferences, summits, expos and meetings as appropriate.
- Respond to urgent requests regarding utility related concerns from property controllers, property managers, vice presidents and others as needed
- Maintain liaison with the Engineering/Procurement Team by accomplishing tasks and assisting with projects as needed
- Employ effective interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible and serve as a role model for all district staff
- Contribute to the team’s effort by accomplishing tasks and assisting with projects as needed
- Comply with all Southern Management’s policies and procedures
- Perform various other duties as assigned by Director and/or Supervisor