Committee and Council Vice-Chair
Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose: The key roles of the Vice-Chair are to assist the Chair and staff liaison with facilitation, coordination and communication – ensuring that the volunteers and committee members are actively engaged in the achievement of the Committee/Council’s and PMA’s work plan. The Vice-Chair should also seek to develop an understanding of the overall goals of the Committee/Council and PMA and build connections to prepare him/herself to serve in the Committee/Council Chair role.
The Vice-Chair, in collaboration with PMA staff and Committee/Council Chair, actively participates in the work of the Committee/Council, provides thoughtful input to the deliberations, focuses on the best interests of PMA and its members and works toward the accomplishment of the goals as described in the budget and strategic plan of the Committee/Council and PMA.
The Committee/Council Vice-Chair also assists the Chair in making Committee/Council members feel good about their participation, and encouraging them to have fun and take advantage of opportunities to build their individual networks, acquire new skills and grow personally and professionally.
Vice-Chair Selection: Committee/Council Vice-Chair is appointed annually by the PMA President.
Length of Term: 12 months (December 1 – November 30)
Recommended Length of Service: Two to four terms.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fulfill the responsibilities of the Chair at meetings, on projects, etc., when the Chair is unavailable.
- Collaborate with the Chair and Committee/Council members to develop or reaffirm the Committee/Council mission statement, annual objectives, budget and action plan for presentation to the Board of Directors.
- Collaborate with the Chair and Committee/Council members to develop and maintain a rolling three-year Committee/Council strategic plan that details the Committee/Council’s present situation and outlines future goals and plans.
- Collaborate with the Chair and Committee/Council to develop projects that will further the goals and objectives of the Committee/Council and PMA.
- Participate in monthly or other regularly scheduled Committee/Council meeting.
- Review relevant materials prior to the Committee/Council meetings.
- Contribute by facilitating discussions and voicing objective opinions concerning the Committee/Council’s issues and activities.
- Collaborate with the Chair to direct and monitor the progress of the Committee/Council’s efforts and ensure that Committee/Council business is carried out according to the Committee/Council’s established goals and priorities.
- Participate in an annual Committee/Council performance review with Committee/Council Chair and the Board of Directors.
- Support diversity and inclusion by assisting in identifying and developing future PMA leaders, including identifying and encouraging a diverse group of applicants to the group and its projects.
- Respond promptly to correspondence and information requests.
- Maintain current membership in PMA during the volunteer term.
- Represent the Committee/Council at meetings of other PMA committees as requested.
- Participate in PMA Committee/Council leadership training activities.
- Prepare him/herself to succeed to the Chair position, with guidance from the Chair and other members of the Association. Note, while a part of the responsibilities of the Vice-Chair is to train to become Chair, there is no requirement or assurance that a Vice-Chair automatically becomes a Chair.
- Honor outstanding contributions of Committee/Council members by nominating for PMA EPIC Awards.
- Accept and complete special assignments as requested.
- Support and attend events planned by the Committee/Council.
Qualifications and Desired Skills:
- Commitment to support PMA’s values, mission and goals.
- Commitment to develop strong facilitation, collaboration and communication skills, knowledge of Robert’s Rules of Order and an understanding of PMA’s policies and procedures.
- Commitment to develop leadership, project planning and delegation skills.
- Approximately 2 hours per month to prepare for and attend for Committee/Council meetings.
- Approximately 1 hour per month to monitor Committee/Council progress.
- Approximately 8 hours per year to participate in PMA training and planning meetings.
- Approximately 8 hours per year for administrative and strategic planning work.
Orientation, Training and Continued Education: The Vice-Chair will receive ongoing support and training from the Association, Board and Committee Chair.